Sunday, March 22, 2009

Martial Virtue - martial arts as personal and societal tools

Although this blog will touch on many kinds and aspects of martial disciplines, I feel that, in the sake of full disclosure, I need to relate your author’s credentials. I am a veteran of a classical Japanese martial school, a ryûha, which is defined as a Japanese school of military disciplines. (1) Please note the plural. These are a way of thinking, a system of belief as well as a set of actions. In fact the lines between thought, belief and action are very blurry. And we strive for that loss of distinction. There is no distinction - sword work is empty hand. Empty hand is firearms. All is all.

Higher class martial arts around the world see this, too. They feel this and do this. And that is what I will speak about here. There is a universality to martial virtue that I will document, elevate and praise.



(1) Friday, K. (1997). Legacies of the Sword. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press. p.2

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Followers

About Me

I am a veteran of a classical Japanese martial school, a ryûha, which is defined as a Japanese school of military disciplines